About HDD ID
This program reads from the HDD/SSD and CD/DVD/BD identification unit (IDENTIFY DEVICE – command 0xECh, IDENTIFY PACKET DEVICE – command 0xA1h) and displays all the technical information about this device (by documentation Technical Committee T13):
- Model, Size, HDD Serial number, Firmware version;
- Logical sector size, Physical sector size (512, 4096 4K), Version ATA, Transport type and version (SATA 3.5, 3.0, 2.6, 2.5, 2.0. 1.0, PATA), Device supports SATA signaling speed (SATA-III 6.0Gb/s, SATA-II 3.0Gb/s, SATA-I 1.5Gb/s), Current negotiated SATA signal speed, Device support Ultra DMA mode, Current selected Ultra DMA mode, Device support Multiword DMA mode, Current selected Multiword DMA mode, Device support PIO mode, Nominal media rotation rate;
- Detect Shingled Magnetic Recording (by indirect evidence – the presence of disk rotation, and at the same time TRIM and ZAC options);
- Features ATA (Advanced Format, AAM (Automatic Acoustic Management), DCO (Device Configuration Overlay), DMA, DMA Setup auto-activation, DSN (Device Statistics Notification), Free-fall Control, GPL (General Purpose Logging), Hardware Feature Control, HPA (Host Protected Area), In-Order Data Delivery, LBA24, LBA48, NCQ (Native Command Queuing), NCQ Autosense, NCQ Priority Information, NCQ Queue Management Command, NCQ Streaming, Phy Event Counters log, Read Look-Ahead, Release Interrupt, Security, SDR (Sense Data Reporting), Service Interrupt, S.M.A.R.T., S.M.A.R.T. Error Logging, S.M.A.R.T. Self-Test, SSP (Software Settings Preservation), Streaming, Write-Read-Verify);
- Features Energy Saving HDD/SSD (APM (Advanced Power Management), DIPM (Device Initiated Power Management), DEVSLP (Device Sleep), EPC (Extended Power Conditions), HIPM (Host Initiated Power Management), IDLE IMMEDIATE command with UNLOAD feature, PUIS (Power-Up In Standby));
- Commands (DEVICE RESET, DOWNLOAD MICROCODE, DOWNLOAD MICROCODE DMA, FLUSH CACHE, FLUSH CACHE EXT, NOP, READ BUFFER, WRITE BUFFER, READ/WRITE DMA QUEUED, WRITE DMA FUA EXT, WRITE MULTIPLE FUA EXT, READ LOG DMA EXT, WRITE LOG DMA EXT, WRITE UNCORRECTABLE EXT, READ BUFFER DMA, WRITE BUFFER DMA, DEVICE CONFIGURATION IDENTIFY DMA, DEVICE CONFIGURATION SET DMA, SET MAX SET PASSWORD DMA, SET MAX UNLOCK DMA, RECEIVE FPDMA QUEUED, SEND FPDMA QUEUED, BLOCK ERASE EXT, OVERWRITE EXT, CRYPTO SCRAMBLE EXT, SANITIZE ANTIFREEZE LOCK EXT);
- And other parameters from the HDD/SSD passport – even more than a hundred different parameters.
Unlike most test utilities that show information about the HDD/SSD and CD/DVD/BD – it shows absolutely all the information (including not interpreted) and the user is given the opportunity of independent analysis.
The disk ID section (IDENTIFY DEVICE sector) can be saved to a file (for history or for independent analysis in HEX-editors) or read from a previously saved file. The same HDD / SSD passports can be saved in Victoria – its PASSPORT save BIN function works with the same files – only the file extensions are different (for HDD Identify Drive – *.#EC files, for Victoria – Passp_*.bin files). HDD Identify Drive can read Passp-files from Victoria.
Support for SMART ATTRIBUTE VALUES and SMART ATTRIBUTE THRESHOLDS blocks, saving them to a file (1024 byte file, two sectors are saved sequentially – VALUES and THRESHOLDS) for independent analysis.
Working with CDROM/ATAPI
Support for ATAPI devices (CD/DVD/BD), they also have a similar identification block (IDENTIFY PACKET DEVICE – command 0xA1h). The ATAPI passport of the device can also be saved to a file.
List documents used for the analysis of IDENTIFY DEVICE и IDENTIFY PACKET DEVICE
AT Attachment-3 Interface (ATA-3), X3T13/2008D Revision 7b, 27 January 1997
AT Attachment with Packet Interface Extension – 4 (ATA/ATAPI-4), T13/1153D Revision 18, 19 August 1998
AT Attachment with Packet Interface – 5 (ATA/ATAPI-5), T13/1321-D Revision 3, 29 February 2000
Working Draft ATA/ATAPI Command Set – 2 (ACS-2), T13/2015-D Revision 2, 3 August 2009
Working Draft ATA/ATAPI Command Set – 3 (ACS-3), T13/2161-D Revision 5, 28 October 2013
Working Draft ATA Command Set – 4 (ACS-4), T13/BSR INCITS 529 Revision 11, 19 January 2016
Working Draft ATA Command Set – 5 (ACS-5), T13/BSR INCITS 558 Revision 4a, 24 February 2020
Working Draft ATA Command Set – 5 (ACS-5), T13/BSR INCITS 558 Revision 10, 3 March 2021
Working Draft ATA Command Set – 6 (ACS-6), T13/BSR INCITS 574 Revision 2, 17 August 2022
IEEE Public OUI/MA-L list, 22 August 2022
HDD Identify Drive version history
|History of development program:|
|v.2.6 (2022.08.22)||Added support for ID-request (IDENTIFY PACKET DEVICE) for ATAPI(CDROM);
Added OUI database for identifying manufacturers;
Fixed a bug with some controller models;
Implemented work with some USB-HDD;
Added support for S.M.A.R.T.-request (viewing SMART ATTRIBUTE VALUES and THRESHOLDS, saving data to a file);
Improved error handling procedure, more informative error notifications;
Support for screens with DPI scaling (now fonts are not distorted);
Added check for availability of updates (only manually, from the About);
Update modern standards (ACS-6);
Various minor improvements.
|v.2.3 (2021.02.16)||Update modern standards (ACS-5, SATA 3.5, etc.).|
|v.2.2 (2020.03.10)||Added modern standards (ACS-5, SATA 3.3, etc.), added tooltips suggesting addresses for reading parameters, fixed potential bugs, internal optimization and various minor bug fixes.|
|v.2.1 (2016.03.20)||Added simple output information, search for a name in Yandex/Google, fix minor bugs.|
|v.2.0 (2016.02.19)||Radically all rewritten, the documentation uses the latest in 2016.|
|v.1.3 (2003)||First public version.|
Download and install HDD ID
You can download HDD ID here:
Works in Windows XP/Vista/7/8/2012/10/11, installation is not required, to read the drive’s passport you need administrator rights.
In Windows 10/11, the program must be added to the ransomware protection exclusion list, otherwise, despite administrator rights, there is no access to direct work with the device.
HDD ID does not change any HDD/SSD settings and data – it only shows them.